There are wonderful alternatives to mainstream education — like our unique learning space in Edinburgh, Scotland. Founded by teacher Lydia Scaltsas, LS Tuition provides a holistic, welcoming, and inclusive approach to your child’s education.
We believe in an education that nurtures the ‘whole child’.
That means looking beyond academics and developing a child’s sense of self. It means understanding that every child has unique strengths and challenges to overcome. It means teaching your child that’s ok to ask for help.
While Maths and English are crucial to success later in life, it’s also important to prioritise a child’s social and emotional development early on.
In short, LS Tuition provides a holistic approach to your child’s education. Above all we want kids to enjoy learning because learning is fun!
Bespoke tuition loved by children (and parents!) across Edinburgh
Because parents and children loved our holistic approach, LS Tuition quickly outgrew our first learning space in Edinburgh. The enthusiasm of the children inspired us and our vision for an inclusive, alternative option to traditional school.
Still based in Edinburgh, our upgraded Learning Space provides even more opportunities for your child’s learning and personal growth.
The Benefits of Our New, Holistic Learning Space
Our brand-new Learning Space isn’t your average classroom. It’s designed from a child’s perspective which has several benefits:
- An interactive space encourages children to engage with every part of the space, increasing their attention span and motivation to learn,
- Enjoyable, fast learning — bringing an element of play to a child’s day turns them into pro problem solvers without their realising it,
- Relaxing zones allow children time to reflect on and process difficult emotions,
- An inspiring space helps children to explore their core values and build self-esteem,
- Low-pressure environment reduces anxiety around vital, but challenging, skills like numeracy and literacy.
Let’s take a closer look at our unique classroom!
In Library Corner your child can read with a furry friend. Studies show that reading aloud to a pet or cuddly toy builds children’s confidence. Children feel more relaxed in the presence of a favourite toy. Reading aloud, they grow accustomed to hearing their own voice. This builds their confidence when reading in front of others.
Wall of Fame
Children can display pictures of themselves working hard on our Wall of Fame. Celebrating achievement helps children cultivate pride in their work and motivates them to stay consistent.
Their picture on the wall cultivates a child’s sense of belonging, which boosts their self-esteem and makes them less afraid to ask for help.
Our friendly Wall Caterpillar loves to help children count to one hundred. Many children experience maths anxiety, which is why our Edinburgh Learning Space reduces fear around maths by making numbers an engaging part of the classroom.
In our Mindfulness Area children can discuss and learn to regulate tough emotions. Selecting a positive affirmation can help children combat negative self-talk, while setting an intention for each lesson cultivates optimism and prevents overwhelm.
At LS Tuition Edinburgh, every child receives something special on their birthday. Celebrating birthdays helps students feel special and lets them know that their teachers and peers care about them.
Challenging behaviour in the classroom is sometimes a result of sensory overwhelm. Our quiet zone provides a safe space for children to decompress in privacy. A full day of school can leave children feeling either tired or overstimulated. Taking a moment of calm helps busy minds unwind at the end of the day.
The Imagination Station is the most exciting innovation at our new Learning Space in Edinburgh! It’s a challenge station for children of all ages. Students engage in various activities that gently challenge their critical thinking and problem solving. Fine and gross motor skills are also developed. Even our tutors love the fiendish puzzles of the Imagination Station!
How Our Edinburgh Learning Space Benefits The ‘Whole Child’
Our unique classroom is one of the only Learning Spaces in Edinburgh that develops the ‘whole child’. Developing the whole child focuses on bigger picture education.
At LS Tuition Edinburgh we believe that a child’s development and wellbeing is about more than their academic results. These values are reflected in our specially designed classroom.
Small class sizes prevent shy children feeling overwhelmed. Brightly decorated walls inspire and motivate. Different zones provide safe spaces for children to overcome challenges.
Our Edinburgh-based Learning Space also provides more one-to-one time with the teacher compared to mainstream schools. It’s a safe, trusting environment. We respect a child’s feelings, and our tutors encourage and support students to learn at their own pace.
Our activities provide a rounded curriculum of academics and art — because play is a vital part of being a child! Research also shows that creative play boosts problem solving skills.
At all stages, we give children freedom to make their own choices. Something as simple as choosing which book they’d like to read helps children become active in their own learning.
By teaching time-management skills and prioritising tasks, children learn to manage workloads and study effectively. This is particularly important around exam time.
Alternative, Independent Education In Scotland
What is alternative education? In Scotland, independent schools provide an alternative to mainstream education. All pupils in Scotland are automatically entitled to free education at the school that serves their local area.
However, not all children flourish in mainstream education. Alternative schools offer a different approach to learning that may suit your child’s individual needs better.
LS Tuition provides alternative education for Edinburgh and the surrounding areas. We take a holistic approach to learning and develop the ‘whole child’.
Holistic learning focuses 5 key areas of a child’s development.
- Physical development — focuses on activities that build fine and gross motor skills. For example, catching bean bags and completing jigsaws.
- Social and emotional development —helps a child’s ability to form relationships with others and themselves.
- Intellectual and Cognitive development —promotes problem-solving, memory, language, and analytical thinking.
- Spiritual wellbeing — considers important questions about their place in the world.
Based at 11 Harewood Road, Edinburgh, we offer alternative tuition and a summer school programme. We’re well-versed in both the Scottish and English curricula. Our holistic approach also covers Key Stage 1 and Key Stage English and Maths.
Is Our Edinburgh Learning Space Suitable For Autistic And Other Neurodiverse Children?
LS Tuition Edinburgh supports the learning of autistic and neurodiverse children.
We’ve recently partnered with STAND (Stronger Together For Autism and Neurodivergence), a charity in Edinburgh advocating for the rights and education of neurodivergent children.
Many children face barriers to their education due to high levels of anxiety or sensory overwhelm. For this reason, mainstream schools don’t always suit the unique needs of autistic or neurodivergent children.
LS Tuition is delighted to provide bespoke tuition in a safe space for neurodiverse children across Edinburgh.
Working alongside STAND, we offer a Family Support Group to help support the wider community of each child. Education ought to be available to all children. We’re proud to work with STAND in breaking barriers to education for neurodivergent learners.
How much does LS Tuition Edinburgh Alternative Education cost?
An initial assessment costs £97.50 for 1.5 hours.
- 1 hour assessment,
- 30 minutes afterwards to discuss assessment results,
- An individualised learning plan for your child moving forward.
Our weekly session price is £65 per hour. This includes:
- face-to-face teaching hour with your child,
- a fully personalised learning plan for your child,
- sourcing learning materials and creating personalised resources where required,
- weekly tracking your child’s progress,
- weekly supporting homework packets discussed with you and your child,
- resources you can take away,
- ongoing communication via text or email out with scheduled lesson times.
Ignite your child’s passion for learning with an initial assessment!
About Our Summer School
- Our Summer School runs over 7 weekly blocks,
- Each block costs £200 per block, per week, per child — that’s just £13 an hour,
- Book more than one child from the same family and you’ll receive a 20% discount,
- Individual booking for 2 or more blocks get 20% off the total fee.
We offer blocks throughout July and August. If you’d like your children to attend, please get in touch via our website.